Setting up email on an Apple using Mail
If you are already using Mail with other accounts follow these steps to add a new account.
- If you’re already using Mail on then you’ll need to add a new account. Do this by selecting Add Account… from the Mail menu option.
- If this is the first time you’ve used Mail you’ll start at this step. You’ll be asked to Choose a Mail account provider… select Other Mail Account…
- Enter a name for your new account, then the email address and password
- You may see a further screen as below that says Unable to verify account name or password. Perhaps confusingly this is usually nothing to do with the username and password you’ve entered – it’s just that the Mail application doesn’t know which server to talk to when validating the details. Simply enter the incoming and outgoing mail server names and click Sign In. Here’s where you have the option of using mail.your.domain or your server hostname as mentioned at the beginning of this article.
- You’ll then be asked which applications you’d like to use with this account. For simplicity, we suggest you untick Notes – but leave Mail ticked.
This completes the setup on Mail on your Mac for your email account.